Friday 30 March 2012

28/01/12- A day or finding strategies.


Today has been a good one for us. Had to return some books to the library. Was a bit unsure about taking both girls alone but, took a deep breath and went for it. I showed S a tin of krispy squares I had made right before we left and told her if she didn't run off or shout in the library she could have one when we got home. She seemed excited but calm, she loves books and our library has a lovely relaxed children's area. She spotted 'Daddy's work car' (his boss was out in it) in the car park and because she was talking at me about that she remained by my side all the way through the carpark. We headed towards the library, feeling pretty happy, and suddenly realised something I had massively overlooked. 'DONG DONG DONG...the church bells, we were about to walk right past it. I looked at her and her face said it all. Right away I stopped and said 'Skye shall we wait here untill those bells stop?' 'Yes mummy...do we have to walk past that church?' I told her not untill the noise stopped. I decided to try distract from the noise and tell her about how her grandad used to ring church bells (she loves little facts like this and as expected repeated it to her Dad later, and most likely everyone she sees for a week). We got to the library and had a lovely time reading a few books on the sofa (we only left because E was being a menace). As we were checking out the bells started again (church is very close to library). We waited for them to stop, left and they started again (not sure why they were going off so much). 
I remembered there was a shop nearby that sold wool and thought we could go there and let her pick some for a scarf, I had promised to make her. Offered this plan to her, I normally avoid taking her near town but was feeling brave as she was doing so well, she was very happy at this idea. She picked a ball of red wool (her favourite colour) and was happily talking about it when we left the shop. As we started heading towards the car the bells started again. I quickly said 'Shall we have a look in here?', pointing to a shop that sold incense stick, candles, jewellery, chimes (you know the sort) She was happy to take sanctuary in that shop. She calmed as soon as we stepped inside and commented on the smells. I let her smell some sticks and pick some out to buy. I had this brainwave that maybe if she picks some she likes maybe those smells would soothe her (has to be worth a try).

Time was pressing as I was aware we HAD to get back to the car or face a hefty fine! As we left I told her we had to go near to the church but we would go the way so we were not right next to the wall, and we may even see some squirrels! As we headed towards the church the bells started again! She stopped and started repeating 'I don't like the bells, too noisy!' Second brainwave of the day happened. She loves her iggle piggle as she rubs the felt bit on his head on her lip. Maybe the soft wool would feel similar, maybe it'd help. I grabbed it out of my bag and said 'Skye feel how soft this is. Feel it on your face.' It worked! ( got some funny looks and was tempted to give them the middle finger, but restrained myself!) She was still anxious and rambling about wanting her aunties ear defenders and the noise but was able to guide her and get her to the car relatively easily. I put her favourite p!nk track on loudly and shut doors to drown out the noise, breathed a huge sigh of relief, smiled and thought to myself 'Well done, you did good.'  

No comments:

Post a Comment